Friday, May 11, 2012

Breastfeeding....why the hype?

So i finally stumbled across the infamous Time Magazine cover that displays a woman breastfeeding a child. Now I'm one of the biggest supporters of breastfeeding and I encourage all mothers to do so. However, not all individuals feel the same as I do. You hear folks say its disgusting, it spoils your child or that it's inappropriate. I for one don't see what the hype is all about. Its simply a mother feeding her child; its no different from adults eating a burger in public or a mother bottle feeding her child in public. But enough about how I personally feel about breastfeeding in the public. I want to get to the point of this posting which is the cover to Time Magazine.

In my opinion, this cover is completely inappropriate. People have been talking about the age of the child, but that's not my issue. My issue with this cover is the obvious detached bond that the woman has with the child. Breastfeeding is more than just feeding your child. Its also creating a bond with your child that only a mother has and can do. This cover does none of that. It actually, in my opinion, perpetuates the negative assumptions about breastfeeding...i don't know. Tell me what you think.


No comments: