Monday, November 15, 2010

Important Conversations

I was having a conversation with a 15 year old young lady this weekend ( friend of my daughters). While myself, her and my daughter were talking she " I wish I could talk to my mother like this". I asked her what she meant by that and she said that the only thing that she was told by her mother about sex, relationships, and boys was No, No, No.......

I can remember being 15 and not being able to learn anything about sex or boys from my mother, and I think that's why I was a mother at the age of 16. Luckily, I learned from that so I make sure me and my daughter have an open line of communication about EVERYTHING. Although her friend isn't my child I felt obligated to use that opportunity to educate her about her body and the importance of sex safe if and when she chooses to have sex. I am thankful I was able to have a meaningful conversation with someone that really needed it. If you ever have the opportunity to educate a young woman please do! There are so many young woman who don't get that at home. Even if they can't talk to someone at home having someone that they can turn to could change their life.

No comments: